Back to school after the holidays means it is time to get back into a routine of making homemade snacks for school; first up Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
I don’t send packaged foods to school very often. It’s something that I’ve made a priority in my family. It’s hard sometimes though, especially when you see a box of granola bars on sale for $1 with a coupon. But when you look at the ingredients and see the sugar content in some of them, it’s not worth it to me to buy them.
So I choose to make school – safe, delicious and kid approved snacks.
This week, I am making Chocolate Zucchini Muffins. Adding a bit of vegetables or fruit to my muffins adds extra protein, fibre, vitamins and minerals to our day … which is good for anyone!
CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI MUFFINS
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 unsweetened apple sauce
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup milk (I used soy, but you can use cow’s milk)
1 1/2 spelt flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 unsweetened cocoa ( optional)
1 cup grated zucchini (drained)
1/2 cup chocolate chips (dark chocolate preferred)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix the butter and brown sugar together
- Add the eggs, apple sauce, vanilla and milk
- Combine all the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda
- If you want to make your muffins more dark and chocolate, add the unsweetened cocoa.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and gently mix with a wooden spoon until all the ingredients are combined
- Add the zucchini and chocolate chips
- Line your muffin tins, or spray with oil.
- Fill the muffin cups 3/4 full
- Bake 9- 11 minutes (depending on your oven)
- Let cool for 5 minutes before removing them onto a baking rack
My name is Rachelle and I am the owner and founder of Momentum Health & Wellness . I am devoted to inspire and promote health and wellness to individuals and families. I want to create a community where people feel motivated to share their wellness journey and to encourage one another to be positive role models in their home, at work and in the community. I offer prenatal fitness classes, postnatal fitness classes, fitcamp, personal training, injury rehabilitation, and corporate wellness.
Contact me for more information on the services I provide!