It is rare that I buy muffins from a store. Like really rare. The amount of sugar in a lot of these is quite high, and I have just made a priority in my family to make our own so we know what ingredients are in it. It’s hard sometimes though, especially when you see a box of granola bars for sale for $1 with a coupon… but believe me, the taste is SO MUCH better when you make them at home!
Since I started homeschooling the girls this fall, we have baked and cooked way more together! This is a great way to learn math (multiplication for doubling the recipe), complete a science experiment and learn what ingredients are the rising agents, social studies and learning what different cultures eat, and last but not least a new subject … TASTE TESTING!
This week, we made Chocolate Zucchini Muffins. Adding a bit of vegetables or fruit to muffins adds extra fibre, vitamins and minerals to our day!
KIDS APPROVED CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI MUFFINS!
CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI MUFFINS
2 tbsp melted coconut oil
1/3 cup brown sugar (or maple syrup)
1 tsp vanilla
1 ripped banana mashed
1/2 cup milk (I used coconut, but you can use any type of milk)
1 1/4 cup oat flour (you can use spelt or whole wheat)
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 unsweetened cocoa ( optional)
1 cup grated zucchini (squeeze the juice out)
1/2 cup chocolate chips (dark chocolate preferred)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix the melted oil and brown sugar together
- Add the egg, vanilla, banana and milk
- Combine all the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, cocoa powder
- Slowly pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and gently mix with a wooden spoon until all the ingredients are combined
- Add the zucchini and chocolate chips (if the batter is too stiff, add a bit more milk)
- Line your muffin tins, or spray with oil.
- Fill the muffin cups 3/4 full
- Bake 8-9 minutes (depending on your oven)
- Let cool for 5 minutes before removing them onto a baking rack
My name is Rachelle and I am the owner and founder of Momentum Health & Wellness . I am devoted to inspire and promote health and wellness to individuals and families. I want to create a community where people feel motivated to share their wellness journey and to encourage one another to be positive role models in their home, at work and in the community. I offer prenatal fitness classes, postnatal fitness classes, fitcamp, personal training, injury rehabilitation, and corporate wellness.
Contact me for more information on the services I provide!